Pages

Sunday 21 September 2014

Dreams

Hi everyone!

I wanted to post something a little different today. More of a lifestyle post really. Lately I've been thinking a lot about my future, as I'm coming up to the end of my second to last year of high school, and its been quite a stressful time as I've been trying to figure out subject choices for next year, what I want to do at university etc. And with speaking to guidance and careers counselors, I have been deciding what path I want to take in life. 

I have always loved fashion, from as young as four or five I have loved putting on fashion shows in my room with my twin sister and myself, dressing up all my stuffed animals and styling outfits. As I got older I would sketch pictures of dresses in my diaries and flip through all my mum's magazines looking at all the clothes celebrities wore. But I never felt like the fashion world would be a career path I'd ever enter into. I guess it had never really crossed my mind back then.

Everyone I'm sure has been asked the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?", as a child I would answer silly things like, "A princess!" or the typical (after I'd started school) "A teacher!". But as I was growing up, and starting to try and think seriously about it, I could never come up with anything. In my head I would always be thinking about becoming a fashion designer, but coming from a small country not very well known in the fashion world, apart from maybe supermodel Rachel Hunter (who was married to Rod Stewart for a short time period), I never thought that as being a "solid career choice"). My siblings were coming up with things like lawyers and doctors, and I didn't feel like I was good enough.

After I got through intermediate school (middle school for all you Americans!) and began high school, that was when I really started thinking about it becoming a possibility. I took up sewing classes in school, began to take art subjects including photography, and started thinking about it in a serious way. As I said in my "The Backstory: Primp and Wanderlust" post, I shared my dreams of becoming a stylist with a teacher, who told me it was not at all an unrealistic dream and that I should write a blog. I then started to look into university options and talked with people about how to make this dream become a reality.
So I still have a way to go, with finishing school and then starting my degree, but now that I feel like I have a real purpose and a goal, I can't wait to see how life pans out. Having dreams are important, and following them through is even more so. Do something you're passionate about, I can promise you'll feel better for it.

Elise xo

No comments:

Post a Comment